Saturday, July 18, 2015

Quilt Designer!



It's official, I am now an official quilt designer! My first block, Ruby's Knife has just been published over on FandomInStitches.com. I even got the designer badge to go on my blog. *giggle* The others should be posting over there in the next couple weeks or so.

In celebration I'll do a quick post on how I design my blocks. First and foremost I use QuiltAssistant software. It's free online, but I do highly recommend the tutorials on FIS. They will walk you thru step by step on how to use it. I was so confused by the software until I checked out the tutorials. Make no mistake, I am still learning, but this is where I started.

Kaylee's Umbrella pattern

With the hard part done, next I make the instruction page. This is the page that tells you how to assemble the pieces into the block, shows what the finished block should look like, any embroidery that needs to be added, and any other information you may need. I design it all in MicrosoftPaint. I don't know if its free, but it came with my computer so I use it. Quick note: QuiltAssistant won't tell you how to assemble the pieces logically into a block. You just need to puzzle that out yourself (or maybe it does and I just don't know where to look for that yet. Like I said, I'm still learning).

Cover Page for Ruby's Knife

Ok, this part that stumped me for a while. You now have a quilt pattern that is saved as a .qa2 file and a picture that is saved as a .jpg or .png file. How do you make it so people that don't have those same programs can open the files? Well, you convert it to a .pdf file. Most computers can open .pdf's. I use CutePDF to convert the various extenstions to .pdf's. CutePDF is a free software that you can also download online. One thing to mention tho, to use it, just act like your going to print your file. When the print dialog box comes up, just make sure to select the CutePDF printer. It doesn't actually print it, just converts it. Took me 3 days to figure out that one :P

Last little step is optional, but makes it easier for other people. You now have 2 .pdf's for your pattern. The pattern itself and the cover page you made for it. Now to combine the two of them so others only have to print off one link instead of two. PDFill can easily combine your .pdf's into one easy link. I just used the free PDFill tools, but there is more available on their website. Again, it's all free. I don't really bother with software I have to buy.

You now have one link with the quilt block you designed. You can give the link out to your friends in an attachment in an email if you like. I personally upload them to Google Drive so I can link them to my blog. It gives you guys an easy place to go to get the files. Just make sure your privacy setting is set so others can view the link. There you go! That is the current process I go thru to make my quilt blocks. Hope it encourages you all to try your hand at designing your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment